Friday, September 01, 2006

LimeWire Pro

is an , yet strangely it is sold both as a free and pro version. Still, the pro version is open-source, so it is freely distributed.

I understand free versions of software being open-source, how they license the pro license under the GPL. There must be some purpose to this. I have LimeWire Pro, I didn’t pay, but I didn’t steal; I broke no law. Wonderful! In my view, LimeWire is the best client. It faces lots of criticism due to the fact that it’s written in the generally buggy platform.

The only networks I use are Gnutella and . I use BitTorrent for large files and Gnutella for small ones.

I hope LimeWire survives the battles it’ll face this year. I love when I can abuse the open-sourcisness (nice word, huh?) of it. I think the company, Lime Wire LLC, should find new ways of making revenue - and release the pro version for free. This would bring the taste of open-source to those who do not know open-source is.

Oh yeah, and if you want to download for free and legally visit this site.

No comments: